Airbus Defence and Space

Airbus Defence and Space expands its Geo-information services in Greece

Paris, 22nd July 2010 - Airbus Defence and Space has strengthened its presence in Greece by creating the company Spot Infoterra Hellas, a provider of geo-information products and services. The Greek company Geomet, a long-standing partner of Spot image and Infoterra in Greece, will be merged into the new entity. Through this move, the two recently merged subsidiaries of Airbus Defence and Space continue their expansion in Europe.


Spot Infoterra Hellas will be distributing the full range of Spot Infoterra products and services, including data provided by the Spot, Pleiades and TerraSAR-X Earth observation satellites. It will be developing additional services as well as part of the GMES initiative (Global Monitoring for Environment and Security), with a special focus on natural disasters such as the fires that devastated Greece in 2009. It will also be offering all the knowhow ofAirbus Defence and Space in sectors such as maritime surveillance, border patrols and national and regional planning.


"Spot Infoterra Hellas will benefit from Geomet's experience in the local market and will be capable of offering its customers a full range of products, including data acquisition, processing and advanced geo-information services. We are delighted with this latest step and are convinced that it will further develop the satellite services market in Greece and neighbouring countries," declared Eric Béranger, CEO of Airbus Defence and Space.


Airbus Defence and Space holds an 81% share in Spot Infoterra Hellas, with the remaining 19% owned by the founders of Geomet. The company expects to employ a staff of around 30 people within the next two years.


Taking full advantage of the resources and skills offered by Spot Image and Infoterra, the Geo-information division of Airbus Defence and Space has become a recognised world leader in the geo-information market by offering decision-makers sustainable solutions to increase security, protect the environment and better manage natural resources. It has exclusive access to Spot and TerraSAR-X satellite data, while also calling on a full gamut of space data sources and airborne acquisition capabilities, enabling it to offer an unrivalled combination of Earth observation products and services. Its portfolio spans the entire geo-information value chain.


By building on the synergy of Airbus Defence and Space, the Geo-information division can also develop innovative solutions combining Earth observation, navigation and communication applications at competitive prices.



About Airbus Defence and Space

Airbus Defence and Space, a wholly owned subsidiary of AIRBUS Group, is dedicated to providing civil and defence space systems and services. In 2009, Airbus Defence and Space had a turnover of €4.8 billion and more than 15,000 employees in France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Spain and the Netherlands. Its three main areas of activity are Airbus Defence and Spacefor launchers and orbital infrastructure, Airbus Defence and Space for spacecraft and ground segment and Airbus Defence and Space for the development and provision of secure and commercial satcoms and networks, high security satellite communications equipment, geo-information products and services, and navigation services.


AIRBUS Group is a global leader in aerospace, defence and related services. In 2009, AIRBUS Group generated revenues of €42.8 billion and employed a workforce of more than 119, 000.


Press contacts:

Airbus Defence and Space

Daniel Mosely (Airbus Defence and Space UK)                                                      Tel.: +44 (0)1 438 77 8180

Matthieu Duvelleroy (Airbus Defence and Space FR)                                              Tel.: +33 (0) 1 77 75 80 32

Ralph Heinrich (Airbus Defence and Space GER)                                                   Tel.: +49 (0) 89 607 33971

Francisco Lechón (Airbus Defence and Space SP)                                                 Tel.: +34 91 586 37 41 



Airbus Defence and Space – Geo-information

Anne-Marie Bernard                                                                 Tel.: +33 (0)5 62 19 40 10


Airbus Defence and SpaceGeo-informationSpot ImageInfoterra